WBCS EXAM stands for West Bengal Civil Service (executive) Exam & candidates are selected for posts in the cadre of West Bengal Civil Service (Exe.) and certain other services and posts under Group A, Group B, Group C, and Group D.
AGE & EDUCATION
All candidates applying for the exam must hold a graduate degree in any discipline from any University recognized by UGC. Additionally, the aspirant should have the ability to read, write and speak in Bengali (not required for those aspirants whose mother tongue is Nepali) .
As on 1st January of the year student is appearing for the exam following age limits apply:
|WBCS positions 2022||WBCS age limit for 2022 exam (more than – less than)|
|For services and posts included in Group ‘A’ & ’C’||More than 21- less than 36 years|
|West Bengal Police Service only (i.e. Group ‘B’ Service)||More than 20- less than 36 years|
|For services and posts included in Group ‘D’||More than 21- less than 39 years|
WBCS EXAM PATTERN
TIME & CALENDAR OF EXAM
WBCS Exam does not have a very tight exam calendar, exam schedule is erratic. The scheme of exam is as follows -
- Preliminary exam
- Main Exam
- Personality Test
The marks obtained in this examination by the candidates in Prelims Exam will not be considered for final selection. Only those candidates who will be declared qualified at the Preliminary Examination in a year shall be eligible for admission to the W.B.C.S.(Exe.) etc.(Main) Examination of that year.
WBCS Prelims Exam Pattern 2022 – Normally held in the month of January of February
- The Preliminary Examination is meant to serve as a qualification Test only for the purpose of selection of candidates for the Main Examination.
- The Preliminary Examination will consist of only one paper, viz., a paper on “General Studies”.
- The paper will be of an objective type consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions carrying. The paper will carry 200 marks.
- Duration of exam is of 2½ hours.
- The standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a graduate of any faculty of a recognized University.
- The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge with a bias towards questions connected to west bengal:
CUT OFFS – In last 5 years cut off for general category candidates has been less than 58%.
|English Language||25||25||2 Hours|
|Current events of National & International Importance||25||25|
|History of India||25||25|
|Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal||25||25|
|Indian Polity and Economy||25||25|
|Indian National Movement||25||25|
|General Mental Ability||25||25|
Exam Pattern 2022
Normally held 8-12 months after preliminary exam
- The Main Examination shall consist of six compulsory papers and one optional subject consisting of two papers (Only for candidates applying for group A and/or B) to be chosen by the candidates from the list of optional subjects given below.
- There will be two papers of the optional subject of 200 marks each.
- Each paper, Compulsory or Optional, will carry 200 marks and will be of 3 hours duration.
|Papers||Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|Language Paper (Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali)||200||200||200||200|
|General Studies – Paper I||200||200||200||200|
|General Studies-Paper II||200||200||200||200|
|Constitution of India and Indian Economy||200||200||200||200|
|Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning||200||200||200||200|
|Optional Subject – (One subject: Two papers of 200 marks each)||400||400||--||--|
|Personality Test or interview||200||200||150||100|
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS :
- Aspirants are free to choose any optional, it also means that subjects not opted for in graduation are also allowed.